Media and Society
MCOM 1300 CRN 22106
Paper 3: Ethics and Public Relations
Due: April 20, 11 a.m. Last day of class, no late papers will be accepted.
Submit: Please submit papers by e-mailing them to email@example.com. 800 words.
Research & Writing Task: You work in a PR firm whose biggest and most important client is a noted Fortune 500 company. In a meeting with them to discuss future strategy and publication of their annual report, they admit that they have “cooked the books” in some of their divisions to inflate revenues. They say everyone in their industry does it.
They want promises from everyone in the meeting that they will not divulge that information.
What do you do? And why?
The following questions may help you get started on your essay.
- Do you promise not to reveal what they have told you?
- Do you advise the client against this course of action, telling company leaders that it could destroy their business - and yours?
- Do you stall until you can seek advice from senior members of your firm?
- Do you promise but actually plan to leak the information to the press?
- Do you refuse to promise and storm out of the room?
- Do you report the company’s fraud to the authorities?
- Do you “go along to get along” so you don’t threaten your career and lose your family’s livelihood?
- Do you promise but vow to yourself never to do it again?
This assignment requires that you go beyond simply answering the questions above.
Your own critical thinking skills are the key to success in this assignment. Don’t be afraid to have an opinion! Express your opinion through reasoned argument.
First, make a preliminary outline of your essay. Then write a first draft and revise it - at least once - for the final version you will turn in. (You need not submit the first draft.)
Proofread your essay to find typos, dropped words etc. You may also find that if you read your essay aloud, it will help you identify problem sentences, grammar and word choice.
Don’t depend on autocomplete or spellcheck. They are not your friends.
Minimum Content Requirements:
· Must use MLA style if you use research to make your point. (You may use http://www.citationmachine.net/mla for help)
· Must include a thesis, arguments and facts to support the thesis, and a conclusion
· Must follow the assignment topic: Must clearly demonstrate your analysis.
· Must be at minimum 800 words.
· Use complete sentences in writing your analysis.
· All examples must clearly support your analysis.
· Must demonstrate critical thinking, reading and writing
· Must observe appropriate conventions (Spelling, punctuation, grammar)
· Make sure the title is related to the content.
· Use 12-point Times New Roman font. (Larger type sizes won’t make your essay seem longer.)
· Use 1-inch margins (no larger or smaller)
· Double-space the entire essay.
· Number all pages - except the first page - on the upper right hand corner of the page.
· Include a header with your name, class time, the date it is due, the designation Assignment 3. Place this on the left margin, at the top of the first page.